Skip to main content

Baby Recipe: Chicken & Carrot Porridge [Plus Storage Solutions]

This is probably one of Kiara's favourite dishes and i believe many asian kids too! It's easy peasy to make and tastes delish!

What you'll need:

  • Minced Chicken
  • Diced Carrots
  • Rice (Brown Rice if you want the healthier choice)
  • Bovril (optional)
  • Garlic (optional)
  • Chicken Stock (optional)

 

For all the items that i stated as optional, it's really up to you which you would prefer. Some would rather skip bovril & garlic and just use chicken stock, where as some would do the opposite. So that part is really up to you how you would like your baby's food to be. I personally have used all 3 methods and Kiara likes them all the same.

Step 1 : Add rice and carrots into a pot of boiling water (or boiling chicken stock). You can add  finely chopped garlic if you would prefer to add more flavour to the dish.

I let this simmer in for about 15/20 minutes till the carrots are relatively softer. Plus rice takes a while to cook too! Once done, add in your minced chicken which cooks quite fast since they're itty bitty pieces.

I don't know why the chicken tends to clump up when they cook so i always find myself mashing them into smaller pieces especially since Kiara has now learned how to spit it out if she thinks its too big for her to chew. Next i added in some Chicken Bovril which i must say, is so delish! I grew up with bovril in my porridge and hence why i introduced it to Kiara too. But not everyone likes the taste but between the original flavour and the new Chicken version, i LOVE the chicken! I sometimes add it into my soups to make it more delicious. :p

Note: Bovril is rich in flavour and you only need the tiniest amount for your dish, so be careful and add it bit by bit till you like the way it is. It can be quite salty if you put too much, but should that happen, add water. Always does the trick for me. Then continue to simmer and it will slowly thicken up again. :)

As a finishing touch, i blend it with my handprocessor to smoothen it out. Depending on the age of your child, you contro how pureed etc you would like it.

Once that is done, you're ready to serve! (Or dish it out but wait a good ten minutes for it to cool down, it will be too hot for bubs to eat) I sometimes add tofu into the porridge, depending if i remembered to buy some from the supermarket. I love the Chinese silken tofus best. So soft and yummy!

This is a really easy dish to make, and trust me, your bubs is going to love it! Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initially i wanted to get a baby food processor but during one of the baby fairs i attended, i saw a Braun stand and was intrigued with this hand-processor. I believe in getting things that are more practical. I mean, a baby food processor would be nice, but i thought to myself, when would i have the next baby? Because you will only be fully pureering then semi puree the foods for about 11/12 months> Then what are you going to do with it till the next baby? If you plan on having more that is!

So hence why i bought this instead, because i can use it for baking, mincing and chopping of my other ingredients! (i don't use anything spicy with this though. I have a seperate blender for all my chili/spices. It was about $100 or slightly less and i reckon its the best buy ever!

(photo credits to http://braun.com)

 

Now on to storing and freezing the food. Some people love making fresh dishes and some like making them in batches. I like making mine in batches. I basically make enough for maybe 3/4 feeds/meals. The remainder i freeze. I bought this version as it was the only one i came across so far. It has 7 portions in a tray, which i find odd for me because every meal, Kiara has 2 portions worth. So i always end up with 1 that is alone and i don't know what to do with it! Found a few online with even numbers and probably might ship them in. :)

I found this in Takashimaya at the baby/kids floor. If i'm not wrong, it's SGD$39.90 and each is a ¼ cup (60ml) portion. This French brand also carries a variety of products under their belt. All of which comes in beautiful colours and i just love the texture of the products. They're silicon and just so easy to pop the food out when you need it! Initially i thought of getting this food processor too. It was just so small and compact!

(photo credits to http://beabausa.com)

 

Do check it out in Takashimaya if you're interested. I believe we carry the full range here in Singapore. I just love all the colour combinations for this brand and always find myself wanting something new from them!

Thanks for stopping by and reading me today! Till the next one!

Comments

  1. very well explained thanks for sharing your valuable blog these are very useful to me.


    Baby Food Preparation and Storage


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Paper New Face 2011

Hey! Today, i bring you news about this year's New Face competition! :) For those of you who don't live here in Singapore, the New Face competition is one of the biggest modeling competitions held here. It had unearthed beauties from all walks of life and many of whom has made quite a name for themselves in the industry. It has helped so many girls shine and achieve their goals, and i am glad to say, i made it to Top 20 last year and have graduated to the very prestigious alumni of New Face girls. :) Every year since i joined the modeling industry, i entered a competition, to better myself and gain confidence. I remember i started off with Singtel Grid Girls back in 2008 and not having much confidence at all. But the New Face competition was something i had wanted to join since the age of 15. It took me another 2 years, to build up that confidence to go to the walk-in auditions and i am glad i did. (Spot me if you can!) It has been such an amazing experience for me, i learned s

My Baby's Hiccups!!

Finally managed to catch my baby's hiccups on camera! It happens so often these days. Almost every night actually. Poor little girl! I wonder, why do babies get hiccups in the womb?

Colic Horror!

A couple of days ago, we went to KK Women's and Childrens Hospital because Kiara was crying non-stop for 2 hours straight. It really broke my heart to see her cry that way. Usually i'm fine when she cries for any other thing, but seeing her tears and the pain in her eyes, was just unbearable. We were actually trying to put her to sleep, and then out of no where, started crying uncontrollably! For some reason, we totally forgot to swaddle her, that actually helps a whole lot, but it just slipped our minds, we tried gripe water too but to no avail. Sham then decided what the heck, we'll just go to the hospital. We ended up staying at the hospital till 5am! Doc gave us some drops to help with her colic, and so far so good. She's gone to bed every night without ballin' her eyes out. I can't wait till she passes 4months. They say colic is the worst in their early months. :( Anyways, on to some updates, we took her weight when we got to the hospital, guess that's